Friday, March 13, 2015

SXSW Austin: A Foodie's Paradise

If anyone is going to be at SXSW in Austin this week, I'd highly recommend trying these amazing food spots near/in downtown!! Here is an example of a full day of amazing unique Austin food. I'll show you some of my favorite breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert spots in downtown Austin.


Breakfast: Taco Shack- 402 Brazos St Austin, TX 78701 

With close to 10 locations near/in Austin, you are sure to find one close to you. I put the address for the downtown location. I personally love their simple "bean and cheese breakfast taco", but they have plenty of other delicious breakfast options such as Breakfast bowls, plates, and burritos. 
(photo creds: Pinterest/whoever took it) - (I've never taken a picture of my taco sorry!)

Lunch:Elizabeth Street Cafe- 1501 S. Street Austin, TX 78704

This unique French Vietnamese cafe serves breakfast, brunch (Sunday only), lunch, and dinner. Its charming decor and delicious bakery treats make this the perfect lunch/brunch spot. They serve noodle bowls, wontons, spring rolls, fried rice, BÁNHMÌ (vietnamese sandwiches served on French baguettes).

I ordered under BÁNHMÌ the #22 which was Homemade Spicy Pork Meatballs served on a delicious House-made Baquette Homemade Mayonnaise, Cucumber, Daikon, Carrot, Sambal, Cilantro, Jalapeño. I loved how the baguette represented the french inspiration and the inside represented the Vietnamese flair the restaurant had. By the way, I ate every single bite, it was that good.
  

Beignets w/ Seasonal Blueberry Jam
I saw in the Kitchen these were made with Cafe Du Mode Beignet Mix--these were heavenly.

**We also got a couple (4, haha) Vanilla Bean macaroons for the road-- and they were delicious, just as French macaroons should be. They also sell chocolate/nutella/pistachio eclairs, cream puffs, and other flavors of macaroons. 

Dinner:Numero 28- 452 W. 2nd Street, Austin, Texas 78701

This charming Italian restaurant with only 4 locations in Austin, New York City, Miami, and London is perfect for a satisfying a "no carb left behind" dinner. They had the best customer service and the sweetest workers.

Dessert: Delish: 209 W. 3rd Street, Austin, Texas 78701

I first saw this on an episode of Unique Sweets, on the cooking channel. I knew I had to go and it was fairly close to Numero 28. I was disappointed at first because their selection seemed small (mostly cupcakes) and all of the "featured" desserts from the episode I had seen weren't available. So I settled for a carrot cake cookie to split with my friend.... let me tell you that was the hardest thing I have ever had to share. They take two soft, moist carrot cake cookies and put cream cheese frosting between them (like a cookie sandwich). I went back literally the next day and they didn't make them at all. They must only make certain desserts certain days. But I know on Thursdays, the carrot cake cookie sandwich is available (at least it was the day I went). They also have Oatmeal Cream Pies-- which looked similar to the Carrot Cake cookies (just in case you don't like carrot cake--this may be a good alternative).
Disclaimer: Sorry, I don't know why these pictures are blurry.
I hope if you get a chance to come to SXSW or just a getaway to Austin, you'll get to check out these places because I know you'll be happy you did!
xoxo, Maddie

1 comment: