Friday, February 13, 2015

Late Night Thoughts: Is it Okay to Have Regrets?

Today, I'm gonna talk about regrets. I'm a strong believer in the idea that sometimes the wrong choices lead us to the right places. If I let the full gravity and weight of my regrets weigh down on myself; I would collapse under the pressure. I can't tell you how many regrets I have about the wrong friends I've had, the bridges I've burned, and the chances I never took, but I know it is all part of a greater plan. I could write all day about taking chances, but I'd be a hypocrite. I've always played it safe, being careful to not hurt feelings or make waves. I've been scared to color outside the lines. I've always cared so much about how people perceived me. One thing, I've learned is that the people worth pleasing will see the good in you and the people who aren't worth pleasing will already be looking for the bad. 

My advice on living with regrets:


1. Surround yourself with people who are supporters. Life will be really hard if you choose to live with people who bring you down and bring others down. Wasting time in bad relationships will surely lead to regrets. If you think you'll be alone without these bad "friends"; that is NOT true. There are good, encouraging people out there; you just have to find them. Keys for finding good friends: 1) can't be gossips(can't stress this one enough) 2) can't be easily angered 3) must be loyal and encouraging.

2. Make your own Sunshine: Don't put your happiness in hands of others. If you are alive and breathing, you obviously have a purpose. Living life is a privilege, though somedays it may feel like a burden. I start my day listening to positive, uplifting music. I'll link some of the songs below!
"I Make My Own Sunshine"- Alyssa Bonagura
"Shine"- Laure Izibor
"It's Your life"-Francesca Battistelli
"Pumpin Blood"-Nonono

3. Life is Beautiful. I can tell you right now, I feel like I've had enough pain and heartbreak for a lifetime, but for every dark day are a thousand good days. The people, the places, and the experiences--good and bad-- shape us as people. I would not be the person I am today, if it hadn't been for the people who hurt me along the way. A popular quote is "Life is like photography, you use the negatives to develop".

It would be seem like a lie for anyone to say "I don't have any regrets", because we all do. Everyone has made the mistakes. The key to living with regrets is to understand that everything happens for a reason. Every mistake is a lesson. Every friendship/relationship ending leads to new relationships. I believe every negative has a positive counterpart.

My answer to "Is it okay to have regrets?" is yes, I think it is normal. The key to living with regrets is to embrace them head on and believe that your past has made you a better person than before.

I'm not saying this is easy, but life becomes a lot easier when you embrace the fact that it is okay to make mistakes and regret things. It is normal.  Choose to be happy in the present and not sad about about the past.
 xoxo, Maddie

No comments:

Post a Comment